RCLC Resident Leadership Awards
The Bertha Gilkey Pioneer Award and $500 Cash Award
The 2017 Bertha Gilkey Pioneer Award
Bertha Gilkey was an activist for welfare and tenant rights since the age of fourteen. In the mid-seventies, she organized the tenants of a deteriorated public housing complex to regain control of their community and their destiny. She was instrumental in obtaining over 30 million dollars in federal funds for renovations and new construction and led a nine-month rent strike of some twenty-two thousand public housing tenants. Bertha, among other activists, was invited to join Ronald Reagan as he signed the Housing and Community Development Act of 1987. In 1992, Bertha was honored by Oprah Winfrey and received an Essence Award. Bertha was the subject of a 1993 NBC show, "Fired Up: The Bertha Gilkey Story" produced by John Singleton. Bertha Gilkey left us with a legacy on May 24, 2014. Let's us continue her legacy of service, passion, diligence and love!
NOMINATIONS FOR 2017 RCLC ARE NOW OPEN.
Other Leadership Awards
Thank you for your interest in awarding the accomplishments of resident leaders, resident councils, housing agencies, and outside organizations that demonstrate extraordinary service in support of resident leaders and their efforts to build better communities. Resident leadership requires commitment and partnership from a range of people and organizations. The Resident Leadership Awards affirm the efforts of these community partners and shine a light on their achievements as an example for communities across the nation.
- Resident Leader of the Year- Nominee will have demonstrated superior performance as a resident leader. Nominee will have successfully demonstrated superior organizational skills, innovation, vision, and the ability to solve community issues in a manner that contributes to the health, safety, economic vitality, and/or satisfaction of public housing residents.
- Resident Council of the Year- Nominee will have demonstrated superior performance as a resident council. Nominee will have successfully demonstrated superior service to residents, partnership with housing authority, organization, innovation, vision, and the ability to solve community issues in a manner that contributes to the health, safety, economic vitality, and/or satisfaction of public housing residents.
- Housing Agency of the Year- Nominee will have demonstrated superior performance in assisting and supporting resident leadership. Nominee will have successfully demonstrated superior service and support for resident leadership in terms of training and program support, partnering with community organizations to realize goals and objectives of resident leadership, and/or involving resident leadership in long term planning.
- Community Partner of the Year- Nominee will have demonstrated superior performance in assisting and supporting resident leadership and the communities they serve. Nominee will have successfully demonstrated superior service and support in terms of donating material resources, donating staff time and expertise, and leadership in solving issues facing public housing residents in a manner that contributes to the health, safety, economic viability, and/or satisfaction of public housing residents.
- Excellence in Resident Leadership Awards- Will be awarded to runner ups in each of the aforementioned categories that have exhibited oustanding service and support in terms of resident leadership.
Resident Leader of the year will be given a $500 cash award. Resident Leader must be present to win.
The Resident Leadership Awards committee solicits nominations for awards from public housing agencies and residents across the United States. The committee reviews nominations and selects award recipients. Nominations for Excellence in Resident Leadership will be processed in 4 categories: Resident Leaders, Resident Councils, Housing Agencies, and Community Partners. Five award recipients will be chosen from each category in addition to an award for Resident Leader, Resident Council, Housing Agency, and Community Partner of the Year. Award finalists will be honored at the Resident Council Legislative Conference Awards Dinner. All nominations and deliberations are kept confidential.
SUBMITTING YOUR NOMINATION
You may nominate candidates by clicking the "Nominate Now" button, then complete and submit the subsequent form. If you have any questions about the nomination process please email the RCLC Lifetime Achievement Leadership Awards Committee.